In a situation where you find yourself locked out of your iPhone, all you’ll need to do are present in this guide.
It can be very frustrating when you get locked out of your device for some reason or the other.
This is common with Apple iPhone locking people out of their device when they entered an incorrect passcode several times on their device. The Face ID may also be acting up.
In this article, you will learn what to do if you get locked out of your iPhone. You’ll be able to set a new passcode for your iPhone again.
When You Get Locked Out Of iPhone
There are a couple of helpful tips on what to do when you find out that your iPhone has locked you out.
Although, when you must have tried about six failed iPhone passcode to unlock the device, you might see a pop-up message saying iPhone is disabled, try again in one 1 minute.
If you’re not counting and tried an incorrect passcode for the seventh time, you will be locked out for about five 5 minutes more.
The more you try as you grow impatient up to the ninth time the waiting time extends to 1 hour.
The max of it is when you try the wrong passcode till the 10th time and the iPhone automatically locks you out displaying a message “iPhone is Disabled – Connect to iTunes” or “iPhone is Disabled – Connect to PC“.
ALSO READ: How To Reset iPhone Passcode
What To Do If Your iPhone Locks You Out
- Firstly, you have to be sure that you’ve been locked out of the iPhone.
- Wipe/Erase iPhone – Wiping your iPhone has to do with the erasing of the phone data (like a factory reset). Preferably, use the Recovery mode.
- Setup iPhone As New Device or Restore – After you’ve selected any of the options, you’ll still be able to set up the iPhone as a new device from an iCloud backup or restore from an iCloud backup.
- Make provisions In Case Of Next Time – You’ll need to always back up everything on your iPhone to easily get them back when you fall victim to this situation.
You Forgot Passcode And Got Locked Out Of iPhone
One of the possible reasons you got locked out of your iPhone can be that you forgot your passcode and the best step to take is to get that iPhone into recovery mode so that you’ll be able to set it up again.
Currently, the iPhone recovery mode has proven to be very helpful when it comes to issues regarding an iPhone user getting locked out of their iPhone.
How To Use Recovery Mode To Get Back To Your iPhone
When having the option of using Recovery mode to tackle the issue of getting locked out of your iPhone, then you need to carefully apply the steps below starting by connecting your device to a PC.
Step 1: Connect iPhone To PC
As iPhone recovery mode is concerned, you’ll need to get a Mac or PC and connect your iPhone to it using a working USB cable.
Again, you must have installed the latest version of Finder on Mac or iTunes on the PC.
Step 2: Turn Off iPhone
As far as you’re sure your cable is compatible with your Mac/PC and iPhone, connect with your phone.
Turn off your iPhone by applying the techniques below depending on your iPhone model.
- For users of iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, or second and third-generation models. You need to Press and hold both the side power button and the Volume down button till the Power off appears. Drag the slider to turn off iPhone.
- But, if you’re using iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, or iPhone 6s, simply Press and hold the side Power button until the Power off slider displays.
Step 3: Put iPhone On Recovery Mode
For this step, you will know which button to use for the follow-up steps below.
- For users of iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, or second and third-generation models. You just need to continue the process by pressing the side power button.
- While for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus users, just press the side volume down button to continue. If you’re using Apple iPhone SE and iPhone 6s continue by pressing the Home button.
Press and hold the buttons while connecting your iPhone to your PC using the cable.
Don’t let go of the button until your iPhone enters the recovery mode screen.
Step 4: Restore iPhone Using Finder Or iTunes
Open iTunes on your Windows PC or Finder on your Mac, this depends on the computer you are using for this recovery process.
Step 5: Choose Restore
When iPhone has displayed on Finder or iTunes, choose Restore when the option pops out, then tap on Restore and Update.
Immediately, your PC will start downloading software for your iPhone restore process.
The download would take a while but during this process and your iPhone stop showing the recovery mode screen, don’t panic. Patiently waits for the restoration process to finish.
Step 6: Disconnect iPhone From Computer
This is the last step which is to disconnect your iPhone from the connected computer and then set up your iPhone again.
ALSO READ: How To Clear Your Browsing History On iPhone
How To Setup iPhone As A New Device Via iCloud Backup
You can set up iPhone as a new device via a previous backup on iCloud. Carefully follow the steps below to set up your iPhone as a new device from an iCloud backup.
Turn iPhone On > Apps & Data > Restore from iCloud Backup > Sign in with your Apple ID > Tap on Choose Backup.
As long as you have backup your iPhone data previously via iCloud, you’ll be able to choose from the available backups.
How To Restore IPhone From an iCloud backup
To do the restore process from an iCloud backup on iPhone, you’ll need to the procedures of the quick step here.
On your iPhone > Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download iOS’s most recent version. After the download is complete > Navigate to Settings > Profile icon > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups > Choose Backup from the available backups.
What to do when you get locked out of your iPhone is broken into step-by-step processes in this guide.
Although, in a scenario whereby your iPhone didn’t display the recovery mode, it is advised that you need further assistance from Apple support.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do when I get locked out of my iPhone?
You have to reset the iPhone using the recovery mode. It is easy and quick to do after following the steps on how to use iPhone recovery mode.
How do I set up automatic backup on my iPhone?
To set up automatic backup on your iPhone, you’ll need to go to Settings, Tap on the Profile icon, Select your iPhone model from the list of available devices linked with your Apple ID, then tap on iCloud Backup to turn on the green slider.