Having erased the data on your iOS device, you might want to restore a backup to an iPhone or iPad. Restoring a backup to an iPhone brings back all your data you have saved when factory resetting your device. And this may be because your device was misbehaving.
Having said that, if you intend to keep using the phone, you can restore your data to your iPhone or iPad. If you just reset the device, and backup your data to iCloud account, or computer — you can quickly restore backup and retrieve all your data.
If you think the problem your device was previously facing has been clear, you can restore the content to your phone from your backup. But if you want to sell the device off, they’ll be no need for you to restore your data to the device.
With the factory reset completed, you’ll need to go through the setup of your iPhone or iPad again to restore the backup.
How to restore a backup to an iPhone or iPad with iCloud
If you reset your iPhone or iPad to its default state, and you want to restore your iPhone or iPad backup, you can do that from the setup screen when you reset your device.
You can choose to restore backup from your iCloud account or your computer. If you didn’t back up your data, sorry you can’t restore it. This is why we always recommend backing up your data before doing anything.
1. Once you’ve factory reset your iPhone or iPad, on the setup screen, enter all your details when asked, and do well to connect to Wi-Fi.
2. Once you’ve everything set up, and get to the page where you’re asked to choose how you want to “Set Up iPhone.” You’ll have three options, but have to choose one.
3. From the three options — “Set Up as a New iPhone,” ”Restore from iCloud Backup” or ”Restore from iTunes backup.” Choose the iCloud backup option, and you’ll be asked to enter your iCloud account details.
4. Once you’ve added your iCloud account to the device, agreed to the terms and conditions, and your iPhone will begin restoring all your data. The backup restore can take forever if you have a large data backup — or slow network.
When you finish restoring backup to your iPhone or iPad, your device will restart, and then all your apps will begin downloading. Make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
How to restore backup to an iPhone with a Mac or PC
To restore backup data to your device from a computer, make sure that your Mac or PC is updated. And update to the latest version for iTunes if you’re using an earlier Mac or PC.
Turn off “Find My iPhone” on your device by going to your phone device, tap on your name > Find My > Find My iPhone, then toggle to off.
1. If you’re using a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, open Finder. For a PC or Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, open iTunes.
2. On the page where you’re asked to choose how you want to “Set Up iPhone.” You now have three options but have to choose one.
3. From the three options, choose ”Restore from iTunes backup.” And Connect your device to your computer. Follow the screen step if you’re asking for your phone passcode.
4. Select your device when it appears on your computer. On the General tab, under Backups, click “Restore Backup.”
Follow the on-screen step, and your backup will be restored to your device. After your device restores backups to your iPhone or iPad, it’ll restart and start downloading your apps.