Can’t remember your Apple ID password, here’s how you can reset it and get a new password for your account. If you want to create a new Apple ID you can do so by following this guide.
Resetting your Apple ID password won’t remove the details in the account, it will only allow you to set up a new password.
Without having access to your Apple account, you can’t back up or even restore your data. Before you can reset your Apple ID password, make sure you’ve access to your phone number or the email address you used when creating your Apple ID. If you don’t have access to it you can’t reset your account password.
Before you can reset your Apple ID password, you’ll need to know the email address you use to register the ID. If you are still able to access your device go to your Settings and tap on your name to view the email address at the top screen.
On a Mac computer, open System Preferences. Click on Apple ID to the right of your name. The email address is listed under your name. If you have been unable to get access to it here’s how to reset your Apple ID password and set a new one for your account.
Read Also: How to create an Apple ID
How To Reset Apple ID password On Your iPhone
If you’re using an iPhone and you forget or can’t remember the last password you use for your Apple ID account, here’s is how you can get it to reset.
They’re different ways to get your Apple ID password reset in iPhone, but you can easily do that with the Apple App Store or related.
1. If you have already signed in with the Apple ID on your iOS device before, go to your iOS device Settings.
2. On your device Settings tap on your name and click on Password & Security then tap on Change Password.
3. If you are signed in to iCloud and have a passcode enabled on your device, you will be prompted to enter the passcode, and from there you will be able to reset your Apple ID password.
How To Reset Apple ID password On A Mac
You can easily set up a new Apple ID password for your account if you’re using a Mac computer. With just a few clicks you will be done resetting your ID password for your account.
1. On macOS Catalina computer go to your Apple menu, and click on ‘System Preferences,’ then click Apple ID. Click Password & Security.
2. On your macOS Mojave, High Sierra, or Sierra computer tap on your Apple menu and click on System Preferences, then click on iCloud, then tap on Account Details.
3. If you’re asked to enter your Apple ID password, click “Forgot Apple ID or password,” then click on Change Password.
4. Before you can reset your password, you’ll be required to enter the password for your Mac computer.
How To Reset Account Password With Your Email Address Or Security Questions
You can also reset your ID password with your email address or security questions you’ve used while setting up the Apple ID account.
If the previous ways didn’t work, you can try this if you have security questions or two-factor authentication turned on.
1. Go to your Apple ID account page and click Forgot Apple ID or password. Enter your Apple ID. Select the option to reset your password, and then choose Continue.
2. If you have an account with security questions set up, you can select “Answer security questions” and follow the on-screen steps.
3. To get email instead, select “Get an email.” To reset your password, use the link that is sent to your primary or rescue email address.
4. After you reset your password, you’ll be asked to sign in again with your new password.
How To Reset Apple ID Password If Two-factor Authentication Is Enabled
1. Go to your Apple ID account page and click Forgot Apple ID or password and then enter your Apple ID, select the option to reset your password, then choose Continue.
2. Enter your Recovery Key for two-step verification, then choose a trusted device and Apple will send your device a verification code.
3. Enter the verification code, and then create a new password, then select Reset Password.
After you reset your password, you will be asked to sign in again with your new password.
Read Also: How to restore a backup to an iPhone or iPad
How To Reset Apple ID Password From Another Device
If you are using other OS devices like Android or Windows you can easily reset your Apple account password. It doesn’t have to be an Apple device for you to set up a new password for your account.
1. Go to https://iforgot.apple.com/. If the website automatically prompted for your password, click on cancel.
2. Click on Forgot Apple ID or password, and click on Continue with Password.
3. You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID email address and then click continue. If you use another means to create your Apple ID account you will be prompted to do the needful.
Once you submit the email address associated with your Apple ID you will be sent a link to reset your account password.
Use Friends Device If You Can’t Access Yours
Before you can reset your Apple ID password, you need to have a device that you can use to gain access back.
If you can’t access your device now, you can use your family or friend’s iPhone to gain access by using the Apple Support app or Find My iPhone app.
To use the Apple Support app on your friend’s or family’s iPhone, their iOS need to be updated to the latest iOS version or have at least iOS 12 or newer. If not, you might consider using the Find My iPhone app.
Using The Apple Support App
To reset your password using the Apple Support app on a family or friend’s iPhone with iOS 12 or later, the device owner will need to download the Support app from the App Store. Any information you enter on the Apple Support app will not be stored on the device.
Once your friends have successfully downloaded the Apple Support app, they should follow the instruction.
1. Under Topics, tap on Passwords & Security, then click on Reset Apple ID password.
2. Tap Get Started, then tap “A different Apple ID” and enter the ID that you need to reset the password for.
3. Tap Next, then follow the steps on your screen until you receive confirmation that your Apple ID password is changed.
Using The Find My iPhone App
If your friends can’t download the Apple Support app on their iOS device because of the iOS version they can still use the Apple Find My iPhone app.
1. Open the Find My iPhone app, and on the sign-in screen, make sure the Apple ID field is empty.
2. Tap Forgot Apple ID or Password, then follow the onscreen steps to reset your password.
Once you have reset your Apple ID password you can now gain back access to your account and control the services you use in the Apple ecosystem.
If you can’t keep up with remembering plenty of your password we recommend that you use the best password manager.