In 2020, Facebook launched its latest video call feature known as Messenger Room. It is a video conferencing feature that allows you to chat with up to 50 people at the same time. The most fascinating thing about Messenger Room is that anyone can join the chat even if you don’t have a Facebook account and there is no time limit.
“Messenger Rooms make it easy to spend quality time with friends, loved ones, and people who share your interests.” Video calls were widely used during the coronavirus outbreak to connect with family and friends. Messenger Rooms was launched in April 2020, and it began seeing an increase in use when people were looking for a way to connect with their families.
The messaging app has privacy protection that enables you to control who sees your Room, who can join — and you can remove participants at any time as well. It also allows you to lock and unlock the Room to restrict people from joining. Here is the step-by-step guide on how to create and use a Facebook Messenger Room.
You can create a room right from Messenger or Facebook, and invite anyone to join your video call, even if they don’t have a Facebook account.
To create Messenger Room, first of all, make sure you have the latest version of Messenger or Facebook installed on your device. You can download it from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Then follow the steps below;
Creating Room using Messenger app
1. Open the Messenger app on your device. Next, tap on “Chats” which is located at the bottom left of the screen of your device.
2. Tap the “Create Room” button, which is located at the top left of the Chats window. If this is the first time you are creating a room, you’ll get a “Try it” button.
3. On the next page, you are presented with options to choose who can join: which are to either share the link for anyone to join your Room, or you can just restrict to only people you invite on Messenger with the link.
Once your friends join, the room will open and you can start chatting. You will see a set of buttons on the bottom of your screen that will allow you to control who has access to the call, turn your audio on or off, or leave the call.
If you click on the button with the “two people” icon, you’ll be able to access additional settings for the call. You can toggle on “Lock Room” to stop others from entering the room, copy a link to send to others, or end the room. To remove participants from the room individually, click “Remove” next to their names.
Ending Room in Messenger app
Once you finish chatting and you want to end the Room tap on the “Settings & Security” on the bottom menu of your screen. You can then decide whether to “End Room” or “Leave Room.”
If you click on the End Room, the Room will be immediately closed, and the link will be revoked when someone tried to join the Room. If you tap “End Room,” on the next page tap “End Room” to confirm.
Creating Room using Facebook app
1. Open the Facebook app and tap on the home button in the top left on your Android phone or if you are using an iPhone — tap on the home button in the bottom left corner of your screen.
2. On the home page, tap on “Create Room” or “Room” between the story lane and status bars at the top of your News Feed.
3. A box will appear displaying three options for your Room “Room activity,” “Who is invited?” and “Start Time.
4. Next, you click on the “who can join” command button, and select if to choose “who is with the link” or “people you invite.” You can also schedule for later, then set a time and date.
5. Click on the friends you want to invite on the next page, or you can copy the link and send it to the people you want to invite via text or any other means. Then, tap done once you are done selecting the people you want to invite.
That’s all, your invitees can then join the Room you created, you can also change the visual background and you can also lock the room.
Ending Room in Facebook app
To end the call, go back to the Facebook app and click the “End Room” button from the “Settings & Security” section in the bottom menu.
To join an existing room
To join an existing room on Facebook, you’ll see available rooms in the “Rooms” section at the top of your Feed. You can also join a Room via a link.
If you click on a link to join a chat, you will join using your Facebook account, but if you don’t have a Facebook account you will be taken to the guest login page. On the guest login page, you can enter your name and join as a guest.
Privacy settings For Messenger Room
You can change the privacy settings of your Facebook messenger room through the following ways;
Removing a participant.
That’s all, follow the above steps to successfully open your Facebook messenger room.