If you’ve been using Chrome you’ll know that the browser support extension to expand its functionality. It’s one of the best browser features, and you should know how to a install Google Chrome extension and also manage it.
If you want to install Chrome extension from the web store or manually follow this guide.
They’re different ways to install extensions on your Google Chrome browser, and one is the undoubtedly famous; through the Chrome Web Store, you can also install Chrome extension manually.
Before you install the extensions manually without the web store make sure it’s safe and it is from a trusted source.
They are different chrome extensions you can find on the Chrome Web Store, Google developed some, and also third parties. Some extensions required permission to change a site setting. If you want to install a Chrome extension, here’s how to do it.
How to install Chrome extension from Web Store
1. Extensions are found in the Chrome web store, so to install extensions on the Chrome browser, you have to go to the Chrome web store.
2. You can find any extension you want, use the search bar to search for the extension to install or pick from the feature list.
3. Once you’ve decided on the extension you want for your browser, click on Add to Chrome to add the extension to the Chrome browser.
To use an extension you just install, click on the icon from the Chrome address bar. Some extensions will let you know if they need certain permissions or data. To approve, click Enable.
Read Also: How to enable tab groups in Google Chrome to keep your browser organise
How to install Chrome extensions manually
If you’ve created your Chrome extension, or you have an extension you want to install that’s not in the Chrome Web Store, you can install it manually. But you should know that installing an extension that’s not on the Chrome Web Store is risky, and you should trust the source before you install it manually.
1. If you haven’t downloaded the CRX file of the extension you want to install, you can do it now from a trusted source.
3. Open your browser and type the URL chrome://extensions/ in your address bar, or right-click on the extension icon at the toolbar and tap on Manage extension, then enable Developer mode in the top right of your screen.
4. Click the Load unpacked button at the top left and select the extension ZIP file from your computer to install.
With this method you can install extensions without chrome web store.
Change extensions permission
Some extensions might need permission to read and change site data. If you decide to stop the extension from accessing site data, you can change the permission at any time.
To change Chrome extension permission:
1. Open Chrome on your computer, and right-click any extension you want to change.
2. Hover over “This Can Read and Change Site Data.” and then, decide which permission to give the extension:
- Current site: Allow the extension to read and change data on the current site.
- All sites: Allow the extension to read and change data on all sites.
Also Read: How to install Google Chrome theme manually and from the Web Store
To add access to a specific site
- Go to the top right, and click the three-dot, then tap on More tools
- Click on Extensions, and select your preferred extension, then click on Details.
- Under Permissions you can add or remove a site:
- Add: To the right of “Allowed sites,” click Add. If you don’t see this option, change “Allow this extension to read and change all your data on websites you visit” to On specific sites.
- Remove: To the right of the site, tap the three-dot, and click on Remove.
Uninstall an extension
If you want to remove any extension from your Google Chrome browser:
- Go to your address bar
- Right-click the extension’s icon you want to uninstall and
- Select “Remove from Chrome”.