Want to know how to zip files on Android device without a Mac or PC? You can Zip and unzip files on Android phone using third-party apps. You can compress files and password protects them if you want. When you Zip files it reduces the total size of the file.
Compressing files is a great way to save storage space and data usage when sending over a mobile network connection. Once you zip a file, the size will be reduced and you will be able to send it via your mobile network. On an Android device, you can create a zip file with or without a third-party app.
Read Also: How to zip and unzip files on iPhone
How to zip files on Android
ES File Explorer, ZArchiver, RAR are some apps that you can use to zip files on your device. In this guide, we are going to be using the ES File Explorer, RAR, and ZArchiver to zip files on Android devices.
How to create a zip files with ES File Explorer
Before you can use Es File Explorer to zip file on Android, you’ll have to download the app from other store app.
1. Open ES File Explorer app on your Android device and navigate to the folder or files you want to compress.
2. Tap and hold a folder to compress the whole folder. Or you can select multiple files. Tap and hold one of the files or folders to enable multiple selections, then select the other files.
3. After you’ve selected all the files, tap on “More” at the right bottom corner of your screen, and then select “Compress.”
4. Type a name you want for your ZIP file, set a password for the file if you want, and then tap “OK” to compress the file.
When the compression is completed, you’ll see the ZIP file listed in the folder of the original file.
How to compress files with RAR app
1. Open RAR app on your Android phone, then find the files you want to compress. Select the files you want to include in the ZIP, and tap the Archive button.
2. Select zip. You can change the file name, the path, and even set up a password. Click on “Browse” to select the destination path.
3. Once you have the name, and the path to where the zip will be located, tap “OK” to zip the file.
Once you finished compressing the files, the zip format will be available where the original file is, or the path which you choose.
How to zip files with ZArchiver
1. Open ZArchiver app on your Android phone and locate the files you want to compress.
2. Tap and hold a folder to compress the whole folder, or tap the three-dot at the right top corner of your screen and tap on “Multi-select” to choose multiple files.
3. After you’ve selected all the files your want, click on the checkmark on the right bottom corner of your screen.
4. Tab the Square box icon at the right top corner of your screen, and then select “Compress.”
5. Type a name you want for your ZIP file, choose “zip” as your Archives format, choose a password If you want, and then tap “OK” to compress the file. You can choose the destination folder by clicking on the three-dot in the archive name line.
You can choose to delete the source files if you want after compression. The compressed files will be available in the location of the original file, or the path you choose when zipping the files.
Read Also: How to download a copy of your Facebook data
How to unzip files on Android
Opening zip files on Android can be done with third-party apps, and we have plenty of apps that can help unzip files. Without the right app. You need a third-party app like RAR, ZArchiver, or ES File Explorer to unzip files on Android.
How to open zip files on Android with Files app
1. Open the Files app on your device and locate the zip file that you want to open.
2. Once you’ve seen the file that you want to extract on the Files app tap on it.
3. On the pop-up you’ll see everything inside the zip file, click on the Extract button to unzip the file.
4. Once the file is extracted you will have the option to delete the zip file. The extracted files will appear in the same directory as the original zip.
How to unzip files with ES File Explorer
1. Open the ES File Explorer app on your Android phone, and find the compressed file you want to extract.
2. Tap and hold the file you want to extract, at the right bottom corner of your screen click “more,” and then “Extract to” to extract your file.
3. If you want to select the file you want to extract tap on the file and select “ES Zip Viewer” click on “Always” to continue using ES File Explorer Zip Viewer.
4. Tap and hold to select the file or folder you want to extract. To extract the selected files, tap “Extract” at the left bottom corner of your screen.
5. Once you tap on Extract a dialogue box will appear saying “Extract selected files to.” Select the path and click “OK” to extract the file.
Select the “update” option it will unzip your file and create a folder named the same as the zip file in the same location. If you choose the “Current path” option, it will extract the files to the same folder as the original zip file but won’t create a folder the same as the zip file.
For the “Choose path” option, you will have to select where the zip file will be extracted to. For the “Choose path” option a field will be displayed, showing a path /sdcard/. Select where you want the file to be extracted by touching the folders to navigate to the path where you want to extract the files.
The “Choose path” option won’t create a folder for you when you extract. The only option that creates a folder for you is the first option — the “update” option. A pop-up will display showing that the extraction was successful and you’re returned to ES file Explorer compression Manager.
- People Card: How to create your own virtual Google Card
- How to turn on YouTube dark mode on iPhone and Android
How to unzip files with RAR
If you have downloaded the RAR app from the Google Play Store, you can use it to open RAR files on an Android device.
1. Open the RAR app on your Android phone and go to the location where the zipped file is located.
2. Select the zip file you want to uncompress and tap on the extract button. It will display an option for you to choose where you want your files to extract.
3. You can use the default option or you can select another extraction path for the zip file. Once you’ve selected the preference, click on “OK.”
How to open zip files Android with ZArchiver
1. Open ZArchiver app on your Android phone, and go to the files you want to extract.
2. Tap the file you want to extract, and click on “Extract to ./<Achieve name>/” to extract your file.
3. If you want to select the files you want to extract, tap on the file and click on “View.” Tap the three-dot at the right top corner of your screen and tap on “Multi-select” to choose select files.
4. Tab the Square box icon at the right top corner of your screen, and then click “Extract.” The extracted files will be in the folder that the original file is located.
Once the extraction is complete, to view the uncompressed file, go to your phone file manager and select where you extracted the file to. The open zip file will be the same name as the zip file.