Google allows you to create a personal Google Account. With a Google Account, you can manage all Google products. But what if you want a Google Account for your business, you’ll have to create a Google Workspace account to get started with.
Google Workspace, formerly known as G Suite is a collection of Google productive apps and tools, that allows business stay productive and collaborate.
Last year, Google rebranded G Suite to Google Workspace to more accurately represent the product vision. The rebranding also sees the change of all its product logo, which includes Meet, Drive, Gmail, Docs, and Calendar.
Creating a business Google Account gives you access to many features. With a professional email address included, this can’t possibly be wrong for your business.
A business email address uses your company name instead of the regular Google email. You can create a business email address with Google Workspace.
Why you need a professional Google Account for your business
Google professional Account know as Workspace formerly G Suite offer apps for productivity for your business. These apps include Drive, Gmail, Docs, Calendar, and Meet.
Creating a business Google Account is not free as the regular. While there’s a small payment to get the Workspace account running, your business will stay productive using Google product tools.
You can store as many documents as you want, send as many emails you want a day. Use Meet for video and audio conferencing, 30 GB of Drive storage for each user. You’ll be able to use your company’s professional email address with Gmail and work on documents together.
A professional business email address has your company name instead of the regular Google email. A business email address looks like this; email@example.com.
How to create a Google Workspace Account
Google Workspace cost a subscription fee for you to use the service. Their plan starts at $6 per user every month. Each user costs $6 to get access to the Workplace product.
Before you sign up for a Google Workspace Account you may need to purchase a domain name, or you can get one during sign up. The domain name is what you’re going to use for your custom email address. An example of a domain name is techvocast.com
1. To create a business Google Account, go to the Workspace website and click on the “Get started’ button.
2. A new page will open, and you’ll be asked to type in your business name and select the number range of your employees, then choose your country and click ” Next.” Since you are the one creating the Account, you’ll be the admin and the one paying for all the other employees.
3. Once you click on the Next button, you’ll need to enter your personal information which includes your names and personal email address.
4. On the next page, select one of the options. If you don’t have a domain name you’ll have to choose “No, I need one” to register a new domain name. But If you already have a domain name, you can click on “Yes I have one I can use.” You can also register from other domain registrars if you want.
5. Once you’ve selected your option and get a domain name ready, you’ll now create a username and password for your Workspace Account.
For your existing domain name, you’ll need to verify it’s yours. If you want an email address you need to do this. A new domain name means an extra payment that’s separately paid from your Workspace users’ payment.
Once you have successfully created a username and password for the account, you’ll see a message telling you the account creation was successful.
You’ve now successfully created your business Google Account, now you can begin setting up an account for you or your employees. To create a custom email address with your firstname.lastname@example.org follow the steps below.
How to verify domain name in Google Workspace
If you don’t have a domain name, you’ll have to get one. Without a domain name, you can’t create a professional email address for your business.
A domain name can be purchase from Google Domains, or you can buy from other domain registrars like DreamHost. Even if you buy from any, you’ll still have to verify the domain to enable Google to know you own the domain.
If you purchase a domain name when creating a Google Workspace account the domain name needs to be verified, as well as if you already owned a domain name.
There’re different methods for you to verify the domain name, from using meta tag, HTML file, or adding TXT records. If you own a website, you can add a meta tag to the head section of your site.
Since there are different domain registrars, here’s a list of how to verify your site with your domain host. We are using DreamHost as our domain registrar. If you verify your domain name in Google Workspace no one else can use your domain name.
1. To get the verification started, go to your Google Admin console and get your unique verification record
2. Once you’ve signed in to the Google Admin console, click on “Continue to verify your domain with a TXT record.” And look for your verification code in the setup tool and click Copy.
3. Open a new tab and go to the login area of DreamHost and enter your email and password to sign in to your account.
4. On the menu, click on “Manage Domains,” and go down to select the domain name that you want to verify with Google Workspace.
5. Under the domain name, click on “DNS” to view the settings for the domain and scroll down to the “Add a custom DNS record” section.
6. Open the instructions for the type of verification record you want to add to your domain’s DNS records.
7. To add a TXT record, leave the Name field empty, and click the drop-down list from the “Type” line and select TXT.
8. Once you’ve selected the TXT as the DNS record, paste the entire verification record that you copied to the Value field, and click on “Add Record Now.”
9. Go to your Google Admin console and asked Google Workspace to verify your domain by clicking on “Verify my domain.”
How to set up a business email address with Google Workspace
Since you’ve verified your domain name in Google Workspace you can now set up your business email address and add users to the Workspace account. Once you add a new user, their email address will use your website domain name.
Add new user to Google Workspace
Adding a user to Workspace automatically creates an email address with your domain name.
1. To add a user to Google Workspace account, go to the Google Admin console. Once you’re signed in on your Google Admin console, go to Users on your Home page.
2. At the top of the page, click Invite/Add new user, and fill out the form to either invite the user to your team or add their account details.
Before you can use Gmail for your business email you need to set up MX records. To do this, you need to sign in to your domain host and direct the email for your domain to the Google Workspace servers.
Set up MX record for Workspace
You’ll need your domain host to set up the MX record. Since there are different domain hosts, here’s a list of the domain registrar that shows you how to add an MX record.
1. Leave the Google Admin console-setup instructions open, and sign in to the DreamHost control panel in a new tab.
2. On the Menu, click on “Manage Domains” and scroll down until you see the domain that you want to set up with Gmail.
3. Under the domain name, click DNS to view the settings for your domain. Scroll down to the “Add a custom DNS record” section and click “Go here.” In the “Type” line.
4. Go to the domain you want to set up with Gmail and click on the Edit button.
To direct your email to your Google Workspace account, you have to add new MX records to your domain.
Add this MX records:
5. Scroll down to “Custom MX Records” and add the first MX Record in the first field. Continue with the rest MX Record and enter the priority number. Once you’ve added the MX record click “Update your custom MX records now!.”
6. Go to your Google Admin console and asked Google to find your new MX records by checking the boxes and confirming that you’ve;
Created accounts for all existing email addresses in your organization, and ready to stop receiving messages from your old email provider and start receiving them in Google Workspace.
Click “Continue,” a new page will open, and then scroll to the bottom and click “Activate Gmail.”