Backing up your WhatsApp chats allows you to see your previous chat and media when you change your phone. You can backup your chats history and media on WhatsApp to Google Drive and Apple iCloud.
If you don’t have a Google Account you can create one here and connect it with WhatsApp to enable you backup chats and media to Drive. And for Apple devices, you need to create an Apple account to be able to back up your messages and media.
WhatsApp allows you to backup your WhatsApp information and chats daily, weekly, or monthly. You get to decide when you want to backup your WhatsApp chats.
The chat backup feature allows you to restore your chats when you change your phone or reinstall WhatsApp. All your messages, photos, videos, and files will be available. You can also manage your WhatsApp storage with a new management tool.
Backing up your chats in WhatsApp doesn’t automatically protect your media and chat in Google Drive, you’ll have to do that yourself. Use a strong password for your Google Account to prevent unauthorized access.
- How to start Messenger secret conversation
- Use Telegram secret chat for end-to-end encryption
- Enable two-step verification on WhatsApp
How to backup chats on WhatsApp
When you back up your chats and media to Google Drive or Apple iCloud you can restore them when you reinstall WhatsApp on your device. Your backup will also be saved internally on your device.
1. Open WhatsApp and tap on the three-dot at the right top corner of your screen and click on “Settings” on your Android device. Click on “Settings” at the right bottom corner of your iPhone or iPad.
2. On the settings page, click on “Chats,” and then tap on “Chat backup,” and a new page will open. From here you will set up how you want to backup your WhatsApp chats and media.
3. Click on “Backup to Google Drive” or “Backup to iCloud” and select when you want to be backing up your chats and media. You can choose, daily, weekly, monthly, or only when you tap back up.
5. Choose which network you want your chat to backup over. You can choose between Wi-Fi, or Wi-Fi, and cellular. You can include videos to your backup if you want.
Enable end-to-end encryption for WhatsApp backup
1. On the Chat backup page, tap on “End-to-end encrypted backup,” then click on “Turn on,” and set a password.
2. Tap on “Create password” or use the 64-digit encryption key. We recommend creating your password.
3. Enter a password, retype again to confirm, and tap on create to set up the encryption password for the backup.
4. Once you have successfully set up a backup for your WhatsApp chats and media, the backup will start daily, weekly, or monthly depending on the option you choose.
5. After settings up the Google account, the encryption, and the network to backup over, tap on the “Back up” button.
All your chat will be on your Google Drive or iCloud account and you can restore them if you change your phone or reinstall WhatsApp on your phone again.
How to restore chats on WhatsApp
To restore a WhatsApp chat and media is quite simple, if you have a backup of your chats and media you can get everything back as it was before. When you reinstall WhatsApp you will be provided with follow-up instructions to restore your chats.
1. To restore your WhatsApp chats to your new phone, first sign in your Google Account or Apple ID to your device before attempting to restore your chats.
2. Open WhatsApp, and type in your phone number to receive the six-digit code, once you confirmed the phone number WhatsApp will begin looking for backup on your Drive and iCloud account.
3. Once a backup is found WhatsApp will request a restore from your Google Drive or Apple iCloud account. Tap on RESTORE to begin restoring your backup to your new phone.
You’ll have to select the email account or a backup could be made from your phone’s internal storage if found.