Got a file that is zipped and you want to extract, we got you covered. Extracting files from Android can be done with third-party apps. We have plenty of apps that can help uncompress files.
Without the right apps, you can’t extract files. As there are no special ways for you to do this with an app. On Android, plenty of apps allow you to extract compressed files.
You need a third-party app like RAR, ZArchiver, or ES File Explorer to unzip your files or folders. For this guide, we are going to be using ES File Explorer, RAR, and ZArchiver.
Before you can open a zip file on Android, you’ll have to download ES File Explorer from the Google Play Store if you haven’t.
1. Open the ES File Explorer app on your Android phone, and find the compressed file you want to extract.
2. Tap and hold the file you want to extract, at the right bottom corner of your screen click “more,” and then “Extract to” to extract your file.
3. If you want to select the file you want to extract tap on the file and select “ES Zip Viewer” click on “Always” to continue using ES File Explorer Zip Viewer.
4. Tap and hold the file to select the file you want to extract. To extract the selected files, tap “Extract” at the left bottom corner of your screen.
5. Once you tap on Extract a dialogue box will appear saying “Extract selected files to.” Select the path and click “OK” to extract the file.
Select the “update” option it will unzip your file and create a folder named the same as the zip file in the same location.
If you choose the “Current path” option, it will extract the files to the same folder as the original zip file but won’t create a folder the same as the zip file.
For the “Choose path” option, you will have to select where the zip file will be extracted to. For the “Choose path” option a field will be displayed, showing a path /sdcard/.
Select where you want the file to be extracted by touching the folders to navigate to the path where you want to extract the files.
The “Choose path” option won’t create a folder for you when you extract. The only option that creates a folder for you is the first option — the “update” option.
A pop-up will display showing that the extraction was successful and you’re returned to ES file Explorer compression Manager.
If you have downloaded the RAR app from the Google Play Store, you can use it to extract your zip file.
1. Open the RAR app on your Android phone and go to the location where the zipped file is located.
2. Select the zip file you want to uncompress and tap on the extract button. It will display an option for you to choose where you want your files to extract.
3. You can use the default option or you can select another extraction path for the zip file. Once you’ve selected the preference, click on “OK.”
Once the extraction is complete, to view the uncompressed file, go to your phone file manager and select where you extracted the file. The unzipped file will name as the zip file.
1. Open ZArchiver app on your Android phone, and go to the files you want to extract.
2. Tap the file you want to extract, and click on “Extract to ./<Achieve name>/” to extract your file.
3. If you want to select the files you want to extract, tap on the file and click on “View.”
4. Tap the three-dot at the right top corner of your screen and tap on “Multi-select” to choose select files.
5. Tab the Square box icon at the right top corner of your screen, and then click “Extract.” The extracted files will be in the folder that the original file is located.