Google Account has a two-step verification process to secure your account from unauthorized users, even if they have the email and the password they’ll be restricted to access your account. Google recommended that users should use a two-step verification process to secure their account, and every soon 2FA will become the default.
Two-step verification on your Google Account will require you to include a phone number in your account if you haven’t previously provided one before.
If you haven’t, you’ll need to include it when setting it up, without your phone number, you can’t use two-step verification except you use another option.
There’re different ways for you to set up two-step verification for your Google Account, you just have to choose the one to use. And if you keep changing your phone, don’t change your phone number, except you’ve to.
Never assume that you don’t need security for your Google Account, and why is my Google Account so important, cut the crap everything is important to you; think about why the person wanted to get to your account in the first place. You need a two-step verification process, don’t be a victim.
We always mentioned that if you want a stronger password — it shouldn’t be just an alphabet or numbers. If you want a stronger password use both numbers, alphabet, and symbols like this “Jerri@BB1.” Using this kind of method to create a password for your account is what you should be doing not, mybaby or myworld.
If you can’t remember your complex password, you can use a password manager. Use one of the password managers and stop the habit of using one password for all your account, people lose their accounts because of one password. A password manager will help keep your password and enable you to use them when you need to.
Google two-step verification is more like providing a secure PIN that you own the particular account, take, for example, if you are a worker; you’re required to provide your ID to get past the door. This process is done to avoid security issues.
Protect your account with two-step verification
To set up Google two-step verification, you need a phone with a mobile number that will accept SMS or voice calls. You can receive a Google prompt or use a security key, you can also choose from different verification methods.
- Use Google prompts
- Use security keys to increase phishing protection
- Use Google authenticator or other verification code apps
- Use a verification code from a text message or call
- Use backup codes
Using Google Prompt
From the different Google verification methods, using the prompts as your second security step is most recommended.
As it’s easier to use than a verification code. And for those that use a phone number to get code via SMS or call, these can be a great choice to help protect you against SIM swap hacks.
To start using Google Prompt you need an Android phone, or an iPhone with the Smart Lock app, Gmail, or any Google app that’s signed in to your Google Account on the device.
1. Open your Google Account from the web, or click on “manage your Google Account” from any Google app on your device.
3. Re-enter your Google account password and click on Continue to use Google Prompt. You’ll see a list of devices the account is signed in to, then click Continue.
4. On the next page, you’ll need to add up a backup option in case you change your phone. You can choose between adding your phone number to get a verification code or using a one-time backup code.
5. On the next page, you’ll need to verify the phone number by entering the code Google sent to you. And then, click on Verify. Google will ask you if you trust the computer you’re using, if yes, click the check box and tap on Confirm to complete the two-step verification process.
Once you have set up the prompt for your Google account, anytime you want to sign in to another device, Google will send a prompt to the device you use to register for a two-step certification. You can either;
- Tap Yes to allow sign-in.
- Tap No to block sign-in.
Use verification code from SMS or phone call
1. Once you’re in your Account, go to the “Security” tab and scroll to the “Signing in to Google” section. Click on “2-step verification“, on the next page, tap on “Get started” and select the option you want to use for the verification process.
2. Enter your number, and choose whether to get your verification code by voice or text message, you’ll then get a response with your verification code with any option you choose. Then click “Next.”
4. On the next page, you’ll need to verify the phone number by entering the code Google sent to you. And then, click on Verify. Google will ask you if you trust the computer you’re using, if yes, click the check box and tap on Confirm to complete the two-step verification process.
Your Google Account will be secure once you set up the two-step verification process for your account. Anytime you want to sign in to your account, you must provide your password and the one-time pin sent to you, or accept the prompt to gain access to your account.